Reports
St Mary's Catholic Church Fleetwood

St Mary's Fleetwood

St Mary's Church - Fleetwood

Reports

Here you can find reports on some of the Parish activities. There may be pictures as well in the Photo Gallery.

Date

Event

 

 

23rd June 2017

Let the Children Sing

Continuing our celebrations for the 150th Anniversary children from our Deanery Schools gave us a lively and wonderful concert in church on Friday 23rd June. The schools taking part were Sacred Heart Thornton, St. Mary's Fleetwood, St. Edmund's Fleetwood, St. Teresa's Cleveleys and Cardinal Allen Fleetwood. It was great to have all the schools singing together and all performed extremely well. Our thanks to go to all the children who took part.

19th May 2017

'Didn't we have a lovely time, the time we went to Carnforth'

A coachload of parishioners and friends of St. Mary's set off for a day out, first to visit the Railway Museum at Carnforth for 'A Brief Encounter'. It was quite nostalgic because of the many items which were on display and took most of us back to our childhood days.

From there we took the short journey to visit Leighton Hall, an historical home still in the hands of a catholic family by the name of Reynolds.

It is an interesting house to visit and we were welcomed by the present owner Mrs. Reynolds and her staff. The lady guide who guided around on the tour of the house was full of knowledge of the history of the house and was most entertaining.

Before going to watch the birds of prey display we enjoyed wonderful strawberry and cream scones with a warming cup of tea.

After our visit to Leighton we made our way home by way of the Millers Arms at Singleton with splendid meal to finish off a lovely day.

6th May 2017

150th Anniversary Dinner Dance

It was in May 1841 when a meeting was called, money borrowed and funds raised in order to establish the first catholic chapel, in Walmsley Street to be exact. Time passed and it was agreed that a more permanent and substantial church was needed and so on 17th May 1861 the foundation stone was laid, the church was built and the first Mass was offered on 24th November 1867, and this is what our celebrations this year are all about.

15th August 2014

Parish Patronal Feast

At last January’s Parish Pastoral Council meeting, the question of the Parish’s Patronal Feast was raised. In recent years, it had been celebrated on 8th September, Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I pursued the matter with our local liturgical expert, Canon Tom Dakin. He was very clear that all churches dedicated to Mary should celebrate their Patronal Feast on 15th August, the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We decided to follow his advice.

 

We celebrated our Patronal Feast with a joyful celebration of Mass at 7pm in the evening. Posters advertising the event had been sent to other parishes in the Deanery. Many people in the area have connections with St. Mary’s and a great affection for the church building. So, whilst we felt it would have been a bigger turn out from the parish itself, it was, overall, a good sized congregation. All present were inspired by Canon Dakin’s homily.

 

After Mass, we retired to the Millennium Room to share refreshments and cut into a celebration cake baked by Barbara Lynch. She also took photographs of this happy and joyful occasion.

“Mary, assumed body and soul into heaven, pray for us.”

20th July 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

(ack. Barbara Lynch)

Tram Sunday

Tram Sunday brought another eventful and fruitful year for Fleetwood and St. Mary's. Many parishioners took time setting up, baking, sandwich making and serving refreshments throughout a busy day. Scores of visitors flocked from far and wide to rest their feet and enjoy a delicious afternoon tea in the church grounds; many spending a quiet moment in church. The book and card stalls were as popular as ever and all in all with the sun shining the day was a great success!

12th July 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(ack. Barbara Lynch)

‘Miles of Smiles’ day trip to Barrow-in-Furness

Our parish coach party arrived at St Mary’s Church in the Parish of Our lady of Furness for Midday Mass and we received a very warm welcome from Fr Andrew Allman. The Church was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, a famous architect who designed and completed more than one hundred Catholic churches including our own beautiful church in Fleetwood. We spent some time at this beautiful Neo-Gothic style Church built in a prominent position in the heart of the town. After Mass we were treated by Margaret, parish secretary, to tea and light refreshments in the social centre and garden. Those who were a little more energetic took a stroll in to town. We then headed off for an afternoon at Furness Abbey, with it's impressive remains founded by Stephen, later King of England. On our way home we stopped off at the Barbon Inn, near Kirby Lonsdale for a meal. A great day out with much laughter and good company!